Expedia survey reveals the top trends and destinations for post-pandemic honeymooners
, /PRNewswire/ -- New findings from leading travel app Expedia® reveal that honeymoons are the next big thing poised for a post-pandemic glow-up. A recent study1 conducted by the travel giant found that an astounding 97% of honeymoon plans were impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, with nearly every couple forced to cancel, pare down or postpone their post-nuptial trips over the last two years. Now, with an estimated 4.7 million weddings expected to take place in 2022-20232, lovebirds are embracing a bigger and better way to honeymoon.
Expedia finds more than half of couples plan to spend more on their honeymoons than they originally budgeted and 59% are more interested now in going to a bucket list destination.
Expedia's latest research finds 97% of honeymoon plans were thwarted by the pandemic, leading to the rise of the ‘mega-moon’
Expedia finds 65% of couples are more likely to add a honeymoon fund to their wedding registry.
Travelers can save hundreds of dollars when they bundle everything for their trip on Expedia.
Top trends uncovered by the Expedia survey, which polled 1,500 couples, include:
- Trips instead of toasters: 65% are more likely to add a honeymoon fund to their wedding registry, prompted by the pandemic to prioritize their once-in-a-lifetime trip over traditional registry items.
- Mega-moons: More than half (53%) plan to spend more on their honeymoons than they originally budgeted and 59% are more interested now in going to a bucket list destination.
- Duo-moons: 83% of those in a relationship are planning a "duo-moon" or multiple honeymoons, such as a quick trip immediately following the wedding and an extended trip later.
- Redo-moons: 54% of married couples are not completely satisfied with the honeymoon they took during the pandemic and want a "do-over."
"Coming out of the pandemic, couples are clearly determined to have an epic honeymoon," says Christie Hudson, head of U.S. public relations for Expedia. "For many couples that will include flights, luxurious accommodations and even romantic in-destination activities. Luckily, it's easy for couples to plan their ultimate honeymoon and save hundreds of dollars when they bundle everything for their trip on Expedia."
Honeymoon checklists include romance and relaxation
After the stress of postponed plans, many couples are looking forward to enjoying some RR during their honeymoons. According to the survey, the most popular itinerary includes an all-inclusive resort (45%), romantic activities such as hot air balloon rides or sunset boat cruises (54%) and pampering (52%).
However, couples are split on the type of destination they desire, with beach and tropical destinations (19%) scarcely more popular than a multi-destination trip (18%), city escape (16%) or national park visit (15%).
The top sought-after honeymoons to take in 2022
Expedia polled couples on where they would most like to go for their post-pandemic honeymoon and the results were all over the map, in the best way possible. Read on and follow the links to the Expedia Explore blog to check out an expertly curated itinerary for each dreamy destination below, inclusive of where to stay and what to do.
- United Kingdom : A multi-city itinerary exploring Scotland and England by train
- Dubai : Straddle the line of beach and big city luxury
- Paris : Honeymoon in the most romantic place in the world
- Florida : A Florida honeymoon two ways in Palm Beach or Surfside, Miami
- Los Angeles : How to enjoy La La Land as newlyweds
- Spain : A fairytale honeymoon through Madrid and Seville
- Italy : La dolce vita in Rome, Naples and the Amalfi Coast
- St. Lucia : The clear waters, lush rainforests and Pitons are calling
- Iceland : Choose your own adventure exploring Iceland
- Maldives : Check private island living off the bucket list
Start planning an unforgettable honeymoon, including dreamy destinations, couple-friendly hotels, and activities for two, by visiting Expedia's Honeymoon Hub.
About Expedia: Expedia® is one of the world's leading full-service travel brands, with a mission of helping travelers get the most out of every trip they take by providing everything they need all in one place, ensuring they are getting the most out of every trip they take, and above all else, feel supported every step of the way.
Our commitment to insights matched with our unprecedented scale allows us to understand our travelers better than anyone else, delivering exactly what they need, when they need it. Our personalized experiences backed by incredible technology, enable us to deliver the widest selection of product offerings across accommodations, transportation, activities and experiences that help you get the most out of your journey.
Use our mobile app or visit expedia.com to plan your journey with us.
© 2022 Expedia, Inc., an Expedia Group company. All rights reserved. Expedia and the Airplane logo are trademarks of Expedia, Inc. in the U.S. and/or other countries. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
1 In partnership with OnePoll. Surveyed 1,701 respondents from April 1, 2022 to April 12, 2022. The survey was conducted online using panel members who are credited to participate in surveys. Focused on U.S. adults who are married, cohabitating or in a relationship. 2 Source: The Wedding Report https://wedding.report/index.cfm/action/blog/view/post/pid/1606/title/2021_Covid_19_Wedding_Market_Update