Podcast Episode May 3, 2022
A video version of this podcast is available to Unlimited Members.
- The video version of this podcast is available to Unlimited Members for free as part of their membership. Become an Unlimited Member »
- You must be logged in with your Unlimited Membership account to see the video here. Login Now »
In this episode, Ryan chats with Willow Belden of Out There. Out There is a podcast that tackles big questions through intimate storytelling and is committed to elevating the voices of those traditionally left out of the conversation when it comes to the outdoors.
Also in this episode: a conversation about a new outdoor fabric, updates on some packs we’ve been testing, and the launch of a new Backpacking Light online course – the How to Use Gaia GPS masterclass.
- 00:00:30 – introduction
- 00:01:20 – Ultra – a pack material that is showing up in cottage brands
- 00:04:30 – Ultra’s long-term performance
- 00:05:23 – updates on the Atom Packs Nanu X25 and Arc’teryx Aerios 45
- 00:08:42 – Willow Belden introduction
- 00:09:57 – start of Willow Belden interview
- 00:10:22 – Willow’s background
- 00:12:45 – how Wild informed Willow’s early exposure to the world of backpacking
- 00:15:30 – how Willow went from no backpacking experience to hiking the Colorado Trail
- 00:17:50 – being female doesn’t factor into Willow’s outdoor experiences
- 00:20:24 – visceral fears vs. actual risks
- 00:23:50 – pee clothes
- 00:25:18 – menstruation cups
- 00:26:30 – mental health
- 00:30:07 – hijacking negative mental health cycles
- 00:33:08 – Out There – geared to a different crowd and designed to explore big questions
- 00:36:00 – connection to nature can be about more than achieving a gigantic goal
- 00:41:33 – the types of stories we tell as outdoor professionals
- 00:42:33 – the challenges of doing a podcast full time
- 00:44:03 – Willow’s biggest victories (highlighting unique voices)
- 00:48:28 – the biggest stories in the outdoor world that Willow is interested in
- 00:50:00 – the single best thing Willow has ever done for herself
- 00:51:52 – end of Willow Belden interview
- 00:54:00 – the way that men talk about women in the outdoors
- 01:00:00 – fixing vs. managing mental health in the outdoors
- 01:04:30 – The backpack trailhead article (see Resources)
- 01:06:30 – new member QA
- 01:08:06 – new Masterclass launch! (see Resources)
- learn more about Ultra fabric here
- Out There podcast
- find Out There on Instagram and Facebook
- Birding While Black – the Out There episode Ryan mentions during the interview
- The Atom Packs Nanu X25
- The Arc’teryx Aerios 45
- Lightweight and Ultralight Backpacks for Backpacking
- Backpacking Light Live Member QA – Backpacks vs. Use Case: Load-hauling, Thru-hiking, Fastpacking
- New Masterclass: How to Use Gaia GPS
About the Backpacking Light Podcast
- Apple Podcasts | Google Play | Stitcher | Soundcloud | Youtube | RSS
- Backpacking Light Podcast Index
Feedback, Questions, Tips?
- Submit them via email or Twitter and get featured on our next podcast!
- Backpacking Light - Executive Producer
- Ryan Jordan - Director and Co-Host
- Andrew Marshall - Producer and Co-Host
Look for Me in the Mountains - Music
- Written by: Chris Cunningham and Ryan Jordan
- Performed by: Chris Cunningham (acoustic guitar, lead and harmony vocals, harmonica), Chad Langford (upright bass), and Tom Murphy (mandolin).
- Produced by: Basecamp Studios in Bozeman, Montana
- This episode of the Backpacking Light Podcast is supported and kept advertising-free by Backpacking Light membership fees. Please consider becoming a member which helps support projects like this podcast, in addition to a whole slew of other benefits!
You can contact us at [email protected] , or follow us on social media -
- Backpacking Light - Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
- Andrew Marshall - Instagram | Twitter | WWW
- Ryan Jordan - Instagram | Twitter | WWW
- Some links on this page may be “affiliate” links. If you click on one of these links and visit one of our affiliate partners (usually a retailer site), and subsequently place an order with that retailer, we receive a small commission. These commissions help us provide authors with honoraria, fund our editorial projects, podcasts, instructional webinars, and more, and we appreciate it a lot! Thank you for supporting Backpacking Light!
Get ultralight backpacking skills, gear info, philosophy, news, and more.
Home › Forums › Episode 60 | Willow Belden of Out There
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Companion forum thread to: Episode 60 | Willow Belden of Out There
Ryan chats with Willow Belden from Out There. Also in this episode: updates on some new packs and the How to Use Gaia GPS masterclass.
@andrewsmarshallLocale: Tahoe basin by way of the southern Appalachians
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.