Podcast Episode September 3, 2021
A video version of this podcast is available to Unlimited Members.
- The video version of this podcast is available to Unlimited Members for free as part of their membership. Become an Unlimited Member »
- You must be logged in with your Unlimited Membership account to see the video here. Login Now »
In this SKILLS SHORT EPISODE, Ryan and Andrew talk about strategies and techniques for creative pursuits in the backcountry: painting, writing, composing, photography, journaling, and more!It’s fun to apply ultralight philosophy to creative pursuits. These are a few of the sketches Andrew Marshall has created while in the outdoors.
- the difference between journaling and writing
- Ryan’s tools for taking notes in the backcountry
- journaling with a pencil vs. a pen
- bullet journaling
- Reconciling your journals with your thoughts afterward can be a fun mental exercise
- Ryan’s drafting practices
- using photos to structure a narrative
- Rite in the Rain journals
- long narratives in prose vs. short notes
- Ryan’s handheld air quality meter
- the richness of allowing a perspective to age
- Andrew’s been painting in the backcountry
- the benefits of using watercolors
- use full-sized brushes or pencils
- Moleskine watercolor notebooks
- composing and developing themes
- Andrew’s essay Salamander Song is a good example of work born out of practicing intentional creativity in the background
- Andrew uses Lightroom to edit photos in the background
- Andrew is no longer using his Sony RX100 in the backcountry
- drop us a note describing your creative endeavors in the backcountry at firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Backpacking Light Podcast
- Apple Podcasts | Google Play | Stitcher | Soundcloud | Youtube | RSS
- Backpacking Light Podcast Index
Feedback, Questions, Tips?
- Submit them via email or Twitter and get featured on our next podcast!
- Backpacking Light - Executive Producer
- Ryan Jordan - Director and Co-Host
- Andrew Marshall - Producer and Co-Host
Look for Me in the Mountains - Music
- Written by: Chris Cunningham and Ryan Jordan
- Performed by: Chris Cunningham (acoustic guitar, lead and harmony vocals, harmonica), Chad Langford (upright bass), and Tom Murphy (mandolin).
- Produced by: Basecamp Studios in Bozeman, Montana
- This episode of the Backpacking Light Podcast is supported and kept advertising-free by Backpacking Light membership fees. Please consider becoming a member which helps support projects like this podcast, in addition to a whole slew of other benefits!
You can contact us at email@example.com, or follow us on social media -
- Backpacking Light - Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
- Andrew Marshall - Instagram | Twitter | WWW
- Ryan Jordan - Instagram | Twitter | WWW
- Some links on this page may be “affiliate” links. If you click on one of these links and visit one of our affiliate partners (usually a retailer site), and subsequently place an order with that retailer, we receive a small commission. These commissions help us provide authors with honoraria, fund our editorial projects, podcasts, instructional webinars, and more, and we appreciate it a lot! Thank you for supporting Backpacking Light!