Learn how to choose a backpacking backpack for specific types of trips based on design, materials, and use cases.
Large outdoor retailers typically offer more than 100 models of backpacks for backpacking from several dozen brands. Add to this: an additional 200 models from more than 50 smaller brands that distribute online in the US market alone.
Sorting out all of these choices is an exercise in frustration due to inconsistent specs and lack of understanding of the broader market by those who are trying to sell you packs.
In Backpacks for Backpacking: Design, Materials, and Use Cases, we focus on the salient design features and materials of interest to ultralight backpackers.
In addition, we identify categories of backpacks by specific use cases, including ultralight backpacking, thru-hiking, long-distance hiking, fastpacking, packrafting, mountain and desert scrambling, and load-hauling.
Keynote: Backpacks for Backpacking: Design, Materials, and Use Cases (Member QA) (~30 minutes)
- Overview of the US backpack market
- Ultralight vs. conventional backpacks
- Backpack design considerations – suspension harness, closures, organization pocket configurations
- Materials hardware
- Use cases – ultralight backpacking, thru-hiking, long-distance hiking, fastpacking, packrafting, mountain and desert scrambling, load-hauling
QA (~ 30 minutes)
About the Event Access Info
- Event Description: Backpacks for Backpacking: Design, Materials, and Use Cases (Member QA)
- Livestream Date and Time: Friday, April 29, 2022, 7PM US Mountain Time
Backpacking Light Member QA Sessions are Hour-Long Members-Only Live Events – they are recorded and the recorded session will be made available below after the live event has ended.
To access the live or recorded (video) version of this event, a printable slide deck for note-taking, and the related resources/downloads, you must be logged in with an active Basic, Premium, or Unlimited Membership.
Become a Member Today to Access the Live Recorded Versions of this Event
Members-Only: Watch the Recorded Video Access Additional Resources
- Download the Slide Deck (to be available shortly before the event)
--- End of free preview ---
A Premium or Unlimited Membership is required to view the rest of this article.